When traveling to Ethiopia, packing needs will vary by individuals or families. Yet, there are basic items that are suggested for travel to the area. Packing small items will decrease the amount of weight during air travel. Here is a simple packing list for travel to Ethiopia:
- A variety of suitable clothing for warm days or cool nights.
- Light Jacket
- Comfortable walking shoes, or hiking boots
- Small battery operated hair dryers, etc.
- Shawl or head covering, for women (especially if visiting Ethiopian churches)
- Sun screen with DEET
- Necessary amounts of prescription medicine
- Over the counter medications including Tylenol, Anti-motion sickness, cortisone cream, antibacterial ointment, anti-diarrhea, anti-histamine, anti-malaria pills
- Iodine tablets for water purification
- Oral rehydration salts
- Traveler’s Checks
- Passport with a valid visa & traveling documents
- Small umbrella for rainy or very hot seasons
- Small personal toiletries & sanitizers
- Compact photo camera, charger, batteries and digital cards
- Small first aid kit (adhesive tape and bandages)
- Flashlight with batteries
- Go Visit Ethiopia tour information & accommodation brochures
- Ethiopia travel guide information
Some traveling destinations may require climbing or longer walks. It is highly recommended to wear comfortable and breathable clothing items. Prescribed medications should be brought with a little extra. It is highly recommended not to bring “too much” prescription medication into the country. Clothing items that are “revealing” is inappropriate and discouraged when visiting Ethiopia.